Dare we hope that the perfect couple has arrived? I try to rely on intuition and I realized that I wasn't as thrilled with the previous couples as I thought I should be. I once attended a group meeting where all of the current surrogates get together and have lunch. Usually a surrogate who has just recently given birth will bring her 'family' with her and we all ooh and aww over the new baby and the happy parents. So when I attended this meeting, we were tentatively matched with a couple yet in my heart of hearts, I was a little sad. Most of the surrogates were gushing over how well they were getting along with their couples. Listening to the exchange of stories, I could not imaging doing any of those things with the couple we were with. One surrogate mom was saying that she and her couple were so close that the intended mother had already hosted several sleepover's for the surrogates 7 children! Now why couldn't THAT be me???!! But I didn't want to be premature and judge our couple, I assumed the friendship would come soon enough. A lot can be said, though, for intuition because we ended up not moving forward with that couple at all.
So when we got the call that the perfect couple had arrived, we braced ourselves again and curbed our hopes that this couple might work out. However, even the initial information we got about them was promising. "E" and "T" were barely older than we were and we already shared some things in common and they lived in Southern California. So we agreed to meet in the beginning of May. When we did meet at the Cheesecake Factory for lunch, we liked them from the very beginning. They were funny, open, excited and most of all they were ready to do this! Their story was very heartbreaking yet hopeful at the same time. "E" had been diagnosed with cancer and had to have a hysterectomy. However, she is now clear of cancer and they are ready to move forward with their life and have children. She can still produce eggs which was something we were hoping to find. We really wanted to help a couple have their own genetic child. So after lunch that day we agreed to work together. Still, we had been down this path already so we were desperately trying to not get too excited until things progressed further. I resisted the urge to pepper them with emails and calls right away, I didn't want them to think I had cheated on my psyc. evaluation and I was a psycho. I wanted so badly to send an email and make sure they hadn't dropped out. After silence for a week, I was panicking and every call I braced myself for the worst. Finally I spoke with "E" and "S" from the agency and they were still moving along with us. In all forms they really do seem like the perfect couple!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment